Everything to Know About Couple’s Showers: FAQ, Ideas, & More!
If you're a couple getting ready for your wedding, you’ve likely heard about bridal showers - but are you looking to learn about couple's showers instead?! In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about couple's showers, including common questions, fun ideas, and more. Let's get started and make your wedding shower an amazing celebration! After all, experiencing a shower as a couple is definitely a route you should consider!
What is a Wedding Shower/Couple's Shower vs a Bridal Shower?
A wedding shower, also known as a couple's shower, is a party where friends and family celebrate and give gifts to the engaged couple. (You may have even heard it referred to as a ‘Jack & Jill’ shower. It's a bit different from a bridal shower, which is usually just for the bride and her female friends and family. A couple's shower includes both partners and makes it a celebration for everyone.
1) Who Hosts the Wedding Shower?
When it comes to hosting a wedding shower, usually close friends or family members of the couple take on this responsibility. However, there are no strict rules, and sometimes the couple themselves can host the shower or even have friends or family members co-host it. Ultimately, it’s up to the couple which route to take!
2) Who Is Invited to the Couple’s Shower?
One great thing about a couple's shower is that you can invite anyone you want to celebrate with you - regardless of gender. Bear in mind that it’s common courtesy to only invite guests who will later be invited to the wedding. So, don’t go too crazy with the guest list! A couple's shower also allows you to have a more inclusive gathering, and invite friends and family from both sides.
3) When Should You Have the Wedding Shower?
Choosing the right time for your wedding shower is important. Typically, the couple’s shower is held a few months before the wedding to give people enough time to plan and buy gifts. Pick a date that works well for both you and your guests, considering any travel plans or other events. Talk to your important guests (and co-hosts if you have any) to find a date that works for everyone!
4) How Much Does a Wedding Shower Cost? Who Pays for the Shower?
The cost of a wedding shower can vary depending on things like the location, food, decorations, and activities. Traditionally, the hosts of the shower cover the expenses, but nowadays, couples might contribute or even host the shower themselves. It's important to talk openly with the hosts/co-hosts/etc. to make sure everyone is on the same page. Realistically, the wedding shower costs can range from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand. However, it’s easy to cut down on costs by having it at someone’s home, rather than a paid venue - or homemaking food rather than catering.
Benefits of A Couple’s Shower (Instead of Just a Bridal Shower)
A couple's shower goes beyond honoring just the bride and opens up the celebration to both partners. In this section, we'll explore the advantages of opting for a couple's shower over a bridal shower. From inclusivity to shared experiences and joint gifts, discover why a couple's shower can be the perfect choice to celebrate your impending nuptials as a team.
1) Inclusivity: There Are No Limits to the Wedding Shower Guest List
Unlike a bridal shower, which often only includes female friends and family, a couple's shower lets you invite anyone you want to celebrate with. This means you can invite important people from both partners' lives, (but it's best to stick to people who will also be invited to the wedding.)
2) You and Your Partner Get to Share the Experience Together
With a couple's shower, both partners can enjoy the celebration together. It's a special time to share the excitement of getting married and make beautiful memories together. With a bridal shower, the other partner misses out on the event. Ultimately, it’s up to your personal preferences on what you’d enjoy more!
3) Joint Gifts: You’ll Receive Gifts that are Useful to Both Partners Together
One of the advantages of a couple's shower is the opportunity to receive gifts that benefit both partners. From household items to experiences, guests have the chance to contribute to your shared life as a couple. This ensures that the gifts received align with your needs and preferences as a unit.
4) New Relationships Will Form with A Mix of Friends & Family From Both Sides
A couple's shower brings friends and family from both sides together, allowing new relationships to form. By the time your wedding day arrives, everyone will feel more connected and excited to celebrate with you!
Wedding Shower Ideas: Things to Consider When Planning the Shower
Planning a couple's shower is a fun and creative process. Here are some important things to think about as you plan your special celebration:
1) Come Up With a Fun & Unique Wedding Shower Theme
Choosing a theme for your couple's shower is an exciting opportunity to showcase your personality and create a memorable experience for everyone involved. If you want your party to be an immersive experience, coming up with a fun and unique wedding shower theme is the way to go! Here's one of our favorites!
2) Create a Gift Registry Ideas for a Couple's Shower in Advance!
A couple's shower presents a unique opportunity to create a gift registry that caters to the needs and preferences of both partners! Consider including a mix of traditional household items, experiences, and even charitable donations. Be sure to create this well in advance so that the guests have time to purchase a gift.
3) Don’t Forget About Wedding Shower Games & Activities
When it comes to wedding shower games and activities, there are plenty of options to entertain your adult guests. Here are some fun ideas that will add excitement and laughter to your celebration:
- Couples Trivia: Test your guests' knowledge about the couple with a trivia game. Create a list of questions about their relationship, interests, or funny anecdotes. Print out a sheet of paper for everyone to write their answers on, and see who can answer the most questions correctly!
- Who Said It?: Prepare a list of quotes or statements that the couple or famous celebrities have said about marriage or relationships. Have guests guess who said each quote. It's a fun and entertaining game that can spark interesting discussions.
- Newlywed Game: Adapt the classic TV show game for your wedding shower. Prepare a list of questions about the couple's relationship or preferences. Ask one partner the questions and see how well the other partner can guess their answers. It's a fun and lighthearted way to test how well the couple knows each other.
Looking for more ideas? Here's some fun bridal shower games to inspire you!
4) Consider What Couple’s Shower Decorations and Invitations You Like!
When planning a couple's shower, don't forget to pay attention to the decorations and invitations! These elements play a significant role in setting the mood that reflects your unique style and theme. Here are some ideas to help you choose the perfect decorations and invitations for your couple's shower:
- Wedding Shower Table Centerpieces: Arrange fun centerpieces that match the color palette or theme of the wedding. Keep it easy and DIY - or check out Etsy for some cute options. You can even make things more personalized by incorporating the couple's pets into the celebration - like these adorable napkins!
- Backdrops and Photo Booths: Set up a backdrop or photo area where guests can take fun pictures. Hang a decorative curtain, create a DIY flower wall, or use a customized backdrop with the couple's names or initials.
- Balloons and Banners: Fill the space with balloons in the couple's chosen colors or opt for metallic balloons that spell out "Love" or the couple's names. Hang banners with sweet messages like "Congratulations" to add a celebratory touch to the venue.
5) Food & Drink Ideas for the Wedding Shower
Food and drinks play a significant role in setting the tone and enhancing the overall experience of a wedding shower. When planning the menu, consider the couple's preferences, dietary restrictions of the guests, and the overall theme of the event. Here are some food and drink ideas to inspire you:
- Appetizers and Finger Foods: Opt for a selection of delicious appetizers and finger foods that are easy to eat and mingle with. Consider bruschetta, sliders, pizza, or Caprese skewers depending on the vibe. These bite-sized treats are not only tasty but also convenient for guests to enjoy while socializing.
- Grazing Table or Charcuterie Board: Create a cute grazing table or charcuterie board filled with cheeses, meats, fruits, and crackers. Arrange them beautifully to create an Instagram-worthy spread.
- Signature Cocktails and Popular Beverages: Create a signature cocktail that represents the couple's favorite flavors. Give it a creative name and display a personalized drink menu at the bar. Don’t forget to provide a range of regular beverage options, like wine, beer, and non-alcoholic choices, to cater to everyone's preferences.
Celebrate Your Love with a Memorable Couple's Shower!
A couple's shower is a modern and inclusive way to celebrate your upcoming wedding. It allows both partners to be celebrated together, invites friends and family from both sides, and ensures you receive gifts that are perfect for your life as a couple. With careful planning and creative ideas, your couple's shower will be filled with love and happiness. Embrace this special time and create memories that will last a lifetime. But if you do decide a bridal shower is more your speed, here are some ideas to get you started with planning!