Linens, and dishes, and crockpots, oh my! Now that you’ve crossed off most of the big to-do’s on your list and had a few seconds to relax, it’s time to start conceiving that very-much anticipated wedding registry! (And let’s face it — you’ve had those bath towels for WAY too long so this is the perfect excuse for an upgrade. Ew.)
Now, while the idea of creating your ultimate household wish list might sound super fun, I can assure you that it’s not all barcode scanning and butterflies. There’s definitely a lot of time and stress that can go into this venture and if you and your partner aren’t 100% in-simpatico then you might be heading down a dark and dangerous road of mismatched napkin sets and endless evenings at Macy’s.
To avoid any frustration, I’ve compiled a ton of information to help you create the best wedding registry that will work for you! From a list of essential household items to handy online tools, here’s everything you need to know before tackling your registry!
*We hope you love the products we found for you! Just so you know, we may collect affiliate commission through links on this page. Thanks!
Online Tools to Help Create the Best Wedding Registry Possible
Let’s face it — we’re living in a tech-filled world so why not take advantage of the resources that are literally at our fingertips?! From creating the ultimate registry to constructing a space for online charity donations, there are simple (and free!) ways to simplify the process and take a lot of time and stress off of your already full plate! Here were a couple of my favorite online tools:
Also, Amazon's return policy is the best. You get a full 180 days to decide if you're going to return your gifts! AND, when your guests buy items from select brands, you get a free gift sent to you!
Another perk of the Amazon registry is that the website automatically tracks who bought you what, making your life that much easier for thank you notes! That's not all, so create your Amazon registry now and check out all the other awesome things that they have to offer!
If you haven’t heard of MyRegistry, well, lets just say you’re definitely missing out. This registry website allows you to choose from all of your favorite shops without having to stick to just one (online and in-store). It is the coolest and easiest wedding registry website I’ve ever seen, and trust me, you’ll definitely feel the same way once you try it out.
Not only can you sync any in-store registries that you’ve already created, but you can browse the web and add any item from any online shop that you desire. And, not to mention, its absolutely free!
Whether you’re planning a honeymoon or looking to renovate your home, Honeyfund is the perfect place to ask for donations to meet any type of savings goals!
Part of what makes Honeyfund so special and well-liked is the fact that you tell your guests specifically what they can put their money toward. Rather than just broadly saying “donate to our honeymoon in Maui!”, you add specific items that they are able to donate to, such as “plane tickets”, “candlelight dinner on the beach”, “car rental”, etc.
Very similar to Honeyfund, but seeing as this is the platform I personally used on my wedding day, I'm a bit biased. Zola is like the unicorn of registries, as it allows you to request physical gifts, cash gifts, and even experiences. It's literally a millennial's dream!
You can also ask your guests to donate to various things such as your honeymoon, airfare, home renovations, swing dancing lessons, a couples massage, and more!
Essential Household Items To Include on the Registry
How badly do you really need those four different crockpots? What about that wooden salad bowl? Or those super fancy fine dining china plates? Creating the best wedding registry possible is about building up your home with the most essential pieces that can last for years, if not a lifetime.
Keep in mind, every couple is different. Some couples are moving in together for the first time and need to start from the bottom up, while others have lived together for a while and are mainly looking for nice upgrades.
I looked at various lists to get an idea of what people consider their essential household items to be and listed that out for you below. I also put together some a list of some fun and random items that you may not have thought to register, but totally should!
- Pots & Pans - It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality. Make sure to register for a great set of pots and pans that could literally last you decades upon decades.
- Dishes - Everyone’s gotta eat. Make sure to add in basic dinner plates, salad plates, and bowls!
- Drinkware - Think tumblers, juice cups, beer glasses, wine glasses, mason jars, coffee cups, mugs, etc.
- Silverware - I’ve read a million different blogs with women who regret registering for fine silver sets. Instead, get a nice set that you can use on a daily basis that fits in nicely with your kitchen's theme.
- Kitchen Knives - You’d be amazed what a REALLY great set of knives can do. A brand such as Wusthof may come with a hefty price tag, but I promise you, they’ll last a lifetime and you will notice the difference.
- Kitchen Utensils - You can never have too many spatula's, spoons...oh and don't forget the ice scream scoop!
- Electric Mixer - Whether you go with the fancier stand up version from KitchenAid or a more affordable, handheld version from Sunbeam, it’s definitely a nice appliance to have on hand!
- Serving Sets - Whether you entertain once a year or once a month, you’ll appreciate having nice serving bowls and plates on hand.
- Tool Set - Whether you’re handy or not, it’s always good to have a basic tool set on hand. You’d be amazed at how often a pliers, tape measure, and screwdriver may come in handy!
- Storage Containers - From tupperware to small organizers, having enough storage is going to save you some major space and sanity, especially in a small home. And lets be honest, how many lids have you lost to your tupperware containers? I think its time for some matching ones!
- Towel Sets - Who doesn't love a fresh set of towels? Upgrade to a plush, matching set that will help turn your bathroom into a luxe home-spa! Kitchen towels are a must, too!
- Bedding - Freshen up your bedroom with some new, high-end sheets and/or that plush comforter you’ve been dreaming of. It’s always nice to have extra sets for laundry day!
- Vacuum Cleaner - A must in almost every household, but don't forget to do your research!
- Slow Cookers - Choose your sizes wisely and don't go overboard! I personally enjoy having a large one for soups and meats, a medium size for sides, and a small one for keeping dips warm.
- Outdoor Gadgets - Lawnmowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers, etc. You know, all that fun stuff!
- Luggage - Whether you like to travel or not, having a decent set of luggage is a great long-term investment and will help you avoid any zipper faux-pau's in the baggage claim line!
- Games - From board games to gaming consoles to even lawn games, registering for games is totally practical and shows off that fun personality of yours!
- Movie Sets - Maybe you're a huge fan of the Star Wars or Harry Potters series? Add the collectors sets to your registry so that you'll always have them on hand to watch.
- Hobbies - Think about what you enjoy doing as a couple. Consider registering for things like beach towels, bike helmets, cooking classes, wine tastings, etc.
- Gift Cards - Gift Card kiosks within stores make it especially easy to register for gift cards to all your favorite restaurants and movie theaters! Register for a few to ensure some date future date nights!
8 Tips for Creating the Best Possible Wedding Registry
When considering where to register, there are a few important things to keep in mind. You want to make sure that you are asking for the things you want and need, but are also being mindful and considerate of your guests. Here are some things to think about:
Tip #1: Pay attention to completion offers. Many department stores will offer deals on all of the items that weren’t purchased on the registry after the wedding date. Every company has a different policy regarding their completion offers, but they range anywhere from 10-20% off!
Tip #2: Register at places with frequent coupons. Think Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Macy’s, and even Target (who offers awesome coupons through their Cartwheel app!) Everyone loves to save money so including at least one of these budget-friendly options will be greatly appreciated by your budget-savvy friends and family.
Tip #3: Keep the list diverse. No one wants to go onto a registry and only see items listed for $100+. That’s just not practical, and honestly, a bit rude. Try to include items in a broad range of prices. This gift registry chart from Squirrelly Minds gives a great example of how to break it down based on the number of guests attending to price point ratio.
Tip #4: Read reviews before asking for big purchases. If you’re asking for anything spendy like a camera, vacuum, or appliance, make sure to do your research before deciding on the exact model that you want.
Tip #5: Stay classic. Your tastes WILL change so try not to get too many patterns or colors that lean on the trendy side. Keep linen and dish colors neutral. You can always use seasonal accents to change out bright colors, but main pieces that you’ll have around for a long time, should stay classic and chic.
Tip #6: Compromise. Remember — it’s not just your registry. It’s for you and your partner. As much as you may want to register for that pink and gold sheet set, think about how your fiancé would like to curl up in that every night. You might come to find that this task is a little bit difficult to get through, but just remember, being able to compromise is key. He’ll appreciate it.
Tip #7: It’s okay to take this task on solo. As a follow up to tip #6, it’s okay to handle the wedding registry on your own. Maybe your fiancé doesn’t like shopping? Maybe you found yourself fighting with him on every little decision? If that’s the case, head to the store on your own or grab a friend with similar taste and have her help! I just recently went with a friend to do hers and it honestly was the most exciting two hours I have ever spent at Target.
Tip #8: Stay true to your couple-style. It’s true. Every couple has one. I’m not necessarily referencing the fact that you both enjoy shopping at J.Crew or Express, but the hobbies and lifestyle that you actually live. Some couples are more sporty, some are home-bodies, and some are entertainers. Make sure that your registry reflects your current lifestyle and not the one you hope to someday have.
20 Must-Have Items to Add To Your Amazon Registry
1. Multi-Use Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, and more! This multi-cooker combines 7 kitchen appliances into one... A pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté, yogurt maker and warmer all into one!
2. Paula Dean 12 Piece Nonstick Cookware Set: This 12-piece nonstick cookware set has shatter-resistant glass lids and comes in 3 different speckled porcelain colors! I personally love this blue speckle color.
3. Hippih 40 Piece Stainless Steel Silverware Set: A 40-piece set with rustproof stainless steel and dishwasher safe guarantee!
4. Rubbermaid 42 Piece Storage Container Set: A 42-piece set of red Rubbermaid storage containers AND the lids even snap to the bottom of the containers too, so no more losing those lids!
5. Glasslock 18 Piece Oven Safe Glass Container Set: If you'd rather have glass, check out this 18-piece set of oven safe glass containers that are airtight and leak-proof!
6. Amazon Basics 18 Piece Dinnerware Set Dinnerware Set: An elegant white 18-piece round dinnerware set is perfect for everyday meals!
7. Sticky Toffee 9 Piece Oven Mitt and Kitchen Towels Set: A 9-piece set of 2 towels, 4 dishcloths, 2 pot holders, and 1 oven mitt with non-slip grip and are extra absorbent!
8. Utopia Towls 8 Piece Premium Towel Set: 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths made from 100% cotton!
9. 6 Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine: A set of 6 stainless steel mixing bowls that can also be used as serving bowls!
10. Cuisinart 15 Piece Stainless Steel Knife Set: 15-piece set of stainless steel knives that are strong, durable, and easy to clean!
11. Home Essentials Glassware Set: A 12-piece set of glasses that come either clear-colored or multi-colored!
12. Keurig K55 Coffee Maker: A single-serve coffee maker that comes in 2 different colors! I personally have this Keurig and absolutely love it. Order one of the reusable K-cups for you to use your own coffee grounds to save money and the environment!
13. Miusco 5 Piece Cooking Utensil Set with Natural Acacia Hard Wood Handle: A 5-piece silicone set includes a spoon, spatula, turner, slotted spoon, and one spoonula! A bestseller for a reason.
14. Accmor 11 Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Cups Set: This 11-piece set comes with 5 measuring cups and 4 measuring spoons that are durable, attractive, and used by professionals!
15. Pyrex 3 Piece Glass Measuring Cups Set: 3-piece glass set that includes 1 1-cup, 2-cup, and 3-cup capacity measuring cups, AND they're designed to be stackable which saves you storage space!
16. Calphalon Nonstick 6 Piece Bakeware Set: A 6-piece non-stick bakeware set includes 2 round cake pans, one medium loaf pan, one square cake pan, one muffin pan, and one baking sheet!
17. D & H Silver-Grey Elegant Bedding Set: This 7-piece silver-grey comforter set is the perfect bedding set for your new home! It includes a comforter, two shams, one bedskirt, and three decorative pillows!
18. Sunbeam Steam Master Iron: An anti-drip, nonstick, stainless steel iron with a retractable cord! An affordable and useful addition to that registry, you may not want to iron but you'll probably need one!Deik 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner: A 2-in-1 cordless vacuum that goes from a stick vacuum to a handheld at the touch of a button!
20. Hamilton Beach 2-in-1 Toaster and Countertop Oven: Can't decide between a toaster or a toaster oven? Look no further! This is a 2-in-1 compact toaster and mini oven that will save you so much counter space!
How do you plan to tackle your wedding registry? Traditional scanning in-store, online shopping with your fiance, charity donations only, etc? Let us know in the comments below!