You’ve been cordially invited to celebrate somebody’s big day! And just remember, its quite possibly the BIGGEST day of their life. So after a little burst of excitement for the happy couple, now you’re thinking, what on earth do I wear?! Fortunately, you’re in luck. We have come up with the do’s and don’ts of wedding guest attire, as well as some fabulous wedding guest dresses from Amazon that are split up by Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall dresses!
Do think about location. If you're going to a beach wedding, your attire will be a lot different than if you're going to a wedding in Colorado in the mountains.
Don't wear jeans. No matter how casual the wedding may be, refrain from denim. Consider what type of event it is. Black tie, semi-formal, casual, costume themed? Either way, NO JEANS!
Do wear long sleeves for Winter and Fall weddings. Of course, you don't HAVE to wear a dress that has long sleeves, as long as you bring along a sweater or jacket to wear over it!
Don't wear white. Okay, so this is pretty obvious, but some people just don't get it. The bride should be the only one wearing white on her big day!
Do wear something with heavier fabric in the Fall and Winter to keep you warm, such as high quality polyester.
Don't go bold. Sometimes the sequins and animal prints can be a little much. The floral prints in the spring and summer months are O.K., but try not to overdo it!
Do wear tights. If you're wearing a shorter dress, feel free to even wear nude tights just to keep your legs a little warmer in the Winter and Fall months!
Don't outshine the bride or bridesmaids. This is the brides big day, and she wants her bridesmaids to look beautiful too. Don't try and upstage them!
Do ask your friends what they're wearing. It's always nice to have a little advice from a friend or two so that you know your not underdressing, overdressing, or just all around doing it wrong.
Don't forget about the color. The invitations normally give a hint as to the color palette of the wedding, and you don't want to wear the same color as the bridal party now do you?
Do cover up bit! Even during those summer months when you want to show more skin, remember you're at a family affair so try to keep it classy and show less skin.
Don't "forget" to wear undergarments. Remember, it could be windy that day, and keeping in mind this is a family affair, no one wants to see what's underneath that dress!
Do shop bridesmaids dresses at Kennedy Blue! I recently wore a bridesmaid dress from Kennedy Blue to a wedding, and it was perfect for the occasion! You don't have to be a bridesmaid to wear one of Kennedy Blue's stylish bridesmaid dresses because they look great as guest attire as well!
4. Floor Length Off-The-Shoulder Dress by Ever Pretty: Floor length dresses for the winter are perfect, especially when they come in 5 different colors like this one! AND the sweetheart neckline is SO flattering.
7. Long Sleeve Pleated Dress by ACEVOG: A more casual, comfy, but fun dress that you could dress up with some cute heels and fancy jewelry! Comes in 3 different colors, but personally I love the black or the navy blue!
1. Chiffon Trumpet Sleeved Dress: This dress has shoulder cut outs with spaghetti straps and trumpet sleeves! It also comes in TWENTY-ONE different colors. You really can't go wrong with this dress.
2. Floral Print Boho Dress by MEROKEETY: I absolutely love this floral print dress! It's a loose fitted chiffon material with long sleeves, so just add some cute heels and you've got yourself an outfit!
3. Off-The-Shoulder Floral Dress by Yieune: This floral print off-the-shoulder dress has cute half sleeves with flares on the end to give it a little extra touch! Match it with some nude heels and you're all set!
4. Elegant Deep V-Neck Dress by Zalalus: It comes in 3 different colors, but this cute teal color is so cute for spring! It has spaghetti strapps but the crossover skirt gives it just the right touch of elegance!
6. Lace High Neck Cocktail Dress by ClearLove: I love this dress because although it's a shorter cocktail dress, the lace gives it an elegant look to it, along with the high neck halter neckline! Comes in 4 different colors.
1. Chiffon Sleeveless High Low Dress by GEESENSS: The "watermelon red" color that this dress comes in is the perfect summer color!
2. Knee-Lenth Lace High-Low Dress by ACEVOG: This peach colored vintage dress has such a cute laced pattern! Its so unique and perfect for summertime.
4. Ruby Red X-Back Floor Length Dress by ANGVNS: If you're looking for elegance but a splash of color, this is the dress for you. The skirt is half polyester with patches of lace along the sides!
5. Sequin Crochet Halter Dress by S.L. Fashion: Add a little bit of glam to your dress with some sparkles! This dress has just the amount of sparkles to make you look amazing without outshining the bride!
7. Flowy Pleated Halter Cocktail Dress by Enlishop: This dress comes in a few different colors, but I love it in yellow! Yellow is the perfect color for a fun, summery, wedding guest dress! AND its super flowy so you can dance all night long.
8. Knee-Length Deep V-Neck Dress by LNIMIKIY: I love this dress not only because of the cute sky blue color, but beacause of how classy it looks even with an open back! Tight up top and loose on the bottom, and it even has pockets!
3. Knee-Length Deep V-Neck Dress by LNIMIKIY: You're probably thinking, wait, I already saw this dress under summer dresses... Yes, you're right. BUT it can be such a cute fall dress too in this cute burgundy color!
7. Tie Sleeve Crew Neck Dress by Boosouly: It has tie sleeves, its a crew neck, AND its flowy. This dress is so cute and so easy to move around in. Spice it up with some cute jewelry and some cute heels!
Which dresses do you like best?! Do you have any other tips about the Dos and Don'ts of wedding guest attire?! Let us know in the comments below!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Taking Your Measurements
For the most accurate measurements, do not measure over your clothing. Your measurements should be taken while wearing undergarments similar to the ones you will wear with your dress. The measuring tape shouldn't be pulled too tight or have too much slack, and should always be parallel with the floor.
**Wedding apparel is typically sized differently than retail clothing, so keep in mind that it's not uncommon to find yourself requiring dress alterations.
Hollow-to-Hem: Hold the measuring tape vertically starting at the indent in your neck area between your collarbones and below your throat. Then, keeping the tape taught, bring the tape to the floor to meet your toes. This is your hollow-to-hem, or hollow-to-floor, measurement. The motion is similar to taking your height measurement.
Bust size: Wrap the tape around your back and under your arms at the fullest part of your bust (not underneath the bust).
Waist size: While standing up straight, bend at the waist to one side. Take the measurement where the natural crease happens in your side. This should be a few inches above your belly button. Stand up straight and do not suck in when taking this measurement.
Hip size: Standing with your feet together, wrap the tape around the fullest part of your hips and butt to get this measurement.
Choosing your correct size
Compare these three measurements to the Kennedy Blue size chart above. It is very important that you order the largest size that corresponds to your measurements. For example, if your bust measures 40.5" (size 12), your waist measures 31" (size 10) and your hips measure 41.5" (size 8), we advise that you order a size 12, and get your dress altered down to custom fit your body. Ordering anything smaller than a size 12 would not fit in the bust area. Depending on the fabric, a dress can be altered down up to 2 full sizes, but can be very difficult to let out as there is only about .5 inch of fabric to do so at the seams. Please note: Our bridal gown size chart is different than the bridesmaids sizing and is listed below.