We absolutely adore our maid of honors and they obviously hold a very near and dear place in our hearts to have such a special role on such an important day in your life. Whether she’s your best friend or your sister, she deserves to be recognized for all of her hard work in the wedding planning, continual support, and just overall awesomeness. So along with a super special proposal to be in the bridal party, I’ve come up with 10 ideas to make your maid of honor stand out amongst the rest of the maids. From mix and match bridesmaid dresses to bouquets to hair pieces, you’ll easily find a way to make your MOH feel extra special on the big day!
1. Give her a unique bouquet. Sprucing up your MOH’s bouquet is a great way to differentiate her from the group. Whether it be larger, have different colors, different flowers, or even have a different bouquet wrap, hers will beautifully stand out amongst the rest of the ‘maids in photos.
2. Style her in a different dress. By giving your MOH a different style dress than the other ‘maids, you will make her feel extra special on the big day! It doesn’t have to be anything drastic. Stick with your same color(s) and style her in a dress that has a unique neckline compared to the other girls.
3. Have her hair styled differently. If you are requesting that all of your ‘maids wear their hair up, have your maid of honor leave hers down and vice versa. It’s an easy way to stand out and have your MOH feel like she’s one-of-a-kind!
4. Embellish her look with a statement piece. Statement necklaces are incredibly popular and don’t seem to be going out of fashion anytime soon. Have your ‘maids all wear something chic and minimal and then have your MOH wear a classy statement necklace. Perhaps something special that you even picked out for her!
5. Style her dress with a unique belt. Since most bridesmaid dresses are pretty simple, have your MOH wear a chic little belt with some sparkly bling or a colored sash.
6. Adorn her with a special hairpiece. I personally am loving hairpieces for weddings right now and gifting one to your MOH to wear on the big day is a super special way to make her stand out amongst your ‘maids. Otherwise, if your girls are wearing some type of flower or leaf crown, tweak hers to have a signature look!
7. Style her in a different color. Mix and match bridesmaid dresses doesn’t just refer to the style of dress anymore. People are mixing colors and it’s gorgeous! A really easy way to give your MOH a stand-out look and be totally on-trend is by styling her in a different colored dress that’s complementary to the other bridesmaids. The easiest way to pull of this look? Choose a color that’s just a few shades off from the rest to create an ombre effect.
8. Decorate her chair at the head table. Similar to how the bride and groom often have signs or highly decorated chairs at the head table, adorn your maid of honor and best man with signs or other decor to help make the seating arrangement more obvious. They’ll definitely appreciate the gesture.
9. Dress her in a different length. You’ve probably seen bridal parties where one or multiple girls are in short bridesmaid dresses while the others are in long? It’s that same kind of thing. If all of the ‘maids are in short, flirty styles, dress your MOH in a long, elegant design that will leave her feeling extra special!
10. Style her in different shoes. It’s a super simple and subtle way to give your MOH a signature look, but she’ll love the uniqueness! Instead of having all of your girls wear the exact same shoe or the same color, let your MOH spice it up a bit. Whether she goes with a wedge instead of a stiletto heel or chooses gold instead of nude, it will be a fun accent!
Photos by Ali Kvidt
Let’s Chat! Who is your maid of honor and do you plan to differentiate her from the group? Leave a comment below and let us know your ideas!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
As a soon-to-be bride, choosing my wedding flowers has been one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make – and honestly, I still haven’t decided! There are so many pretty options out there and narrowing all of them down has been nothing short of overwhelming. To make the decision a bit easier on you, I’ve gathered some of my absolute favorite bridesmaid bouquets from some of our Kennedy Blue weddings that I know you’re going to love!
Styling your besties in mismatched bridesmaid dresses has been a huge trend for the past few years. And as popular as it still is, we’re slowly starting to see brides revert to having all of their girls dressed in the same style. So how do you decide what’s best for your own wedding? Here are some points to get you thinking about whether you should go the route of mismatched bridesmaid dresses or styling your girls in all the same look.
Romantic, elegant, and totally on-trend; we’re currently obsessing over Bordeaux bridesmaid dresses! Inspired by Marsala, Pantone’s 2016 color of the year, our newest color was created out of the need for a deep red with a romantic pink undertone. Literally, you guys, this color is everything we’ve ever dreamt of! Flattering on literally every skin tone, we think this is a color that your bridesmaids are easily going to fall in love with!
Taking Your Measurements
For the most accurate measurements, do not measure over your clothing. Your measurements should be taken while wearing undergarments similar to the ones you will wear with your dress. The measuring tape shouldn't be pulled too tight or have too much slack, and should always be parallel with the floor.
**Wedding apparel is typically sized differently than retail clothing, so keep in mind that it's not uncommon to find yourself requiring alterations.
Bust size: Wrap the tape around your back and under your arms at the fullest part of your bust (not underneath the bust).
Waist size: While standing up straight, bend at the waist to one side. Take the measurement where the natural crease happens in your side. This should be a few inches above your belly button.
Hip size: Standing with your feet together, wrap the tape around the fullest part of your hips and butt to get this measurement.
Choosing your correct size
Compare these three measurements to the Kennedy Blue size chart above. It is very important that you order the largest size that corresponds to your measurements. For example, if your bust measures 40.5" (size 12), your waist measures 31" (size 10) and your hips measure 41.5" (size 8), we advise that you order a size 12, and get your dress altered down to custom fit your body. Ordering anything smaller than a size 12 would not fit in the bust area. Please note: Our bridal gown size chart is different than the bridesmaids sizing and is listed below.